Book proposal submission guidelines
How to Submit a Scholarly Book Proposal
Unless otherwise invited to do so by one of the Press editors, we prefer to receive a prospectus in advance of a complete manuscript. The submission of unrevised dissertations, unless solicited, is strongly discouraged. Your prospectus should include, at a minimum, the following information:
- An overview of the book, including a summary of its main contributions; a description of the theoretical framework and methodology that you employ (if applicable); a comparison of your work to other books in the field and an explanation of how your research distinguishes itself from them; a description of the book’s target audience(s).
- Table of Contents and chapter summaries.
- At least two substantive sample chapters.
- Current curriculum vitae. If your proposal is for a collection of essays, include a list of contributors’ affiliations.
- Manuscript specifics, such as estimated word length (including notes and citations), delivery date, and number and type of illustrations (if applicable).
- Your contact information, including mailing address, phone numbers, and e-mail address.
Please note: We make every effort to respond to inquiries promptly but may be delayed owing to individual circumstances. Please expect an average response time of four to six weeks. Because of the high volume of submissions, we are not able to acknowledge receipt of unsolicited proposals. We do not return materials unless you provide a prepaid return envelope. We send a standard rejection letter for projects not suitable for our editorial program.
Policy on Simultaneous Submissions
In some cases, we will consider simultaneous submissions. Address this issue in your initial query to the acquiring editor.
Individual proposals should be directed to the appropriate acquiring editor at this address:
University of Minnesota Press
111 Third Avenue South, Suite 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
If you are not sure which editor would be most appropriate for your work, please send a submission query.